I gained my BACP Accredited qualification in Integrative Psychotherapeutic Counselling in July 2005 after commencing my studies in counselling at what is now Central Sussex College in January 2002. Since then I have worked with adults, young adults, teenagers and children gaining a wealth of experience and became an Accredited member of the BACP in 2008.
Due to my work with children, young people and vulnerable adults I am also trained in Child Protection issues, making sure that I attend continuing professional development, (CPD) to update my knowledge regularly. I have been fully DBS checked and therefore hold a current and enhanced DBS certificate, which requires an annual update.
In 2013 I gained a Diploma in Supervision for Counsellors, Psychotherapists and Allied Healthcare Professionals via Psychotherapy in the Home Counties now Cathy Davey Training.
In 2018 I worked with Babette Rothschild attending her 12-day training on Somatic Trauma Therapy. Here I learned how to manage trauma when working with clients, some of who may be suffering from PTSD, (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). This training has been invaluable in my day to day work as a therapist teaching me how to notice when a client’s Autonomic Nervous System, (ANS), has been activated and then how to help them to manage, as well as understand the ‘symptoms’ that arise. I have found that it can be extremely helpful to help people understand what their bodies are doing as well as to understand why. All of us have a Fight, Flight or Freeze mechanism triggered by a variety of frightening and at times life threatening circumstances. Helping others to understand that we have this system there for a reason, as well as how to take back control of their bodies and the symptoms that arise making them feel out of control at times, is extremely rewarding.
Certificates and Diplomas
- BACP Accredited Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapeutic Counselling – including a certificate in Short Term Counselling
- Certificate in Couples Counselling – Time2Relate – Couples Counselling.
- Certificate in Working Creatively with Children and Young People – Hove YMCA Therapeutic Services
- Diploma in Supervision for Counsellors, Psychotherapists and Allied Health Professionals – Experiential Diploma in Supervision
- Certificate in Somatic Trauma Therapy – Babette Rothschild MSW/LSCW
I continue to train to improve my work as a counsellor and attend regular CPD in accordance with the BACP code of ethics, often exceeding their annual requirements. As such I also have CPD certificates in:
- Clinical Assessment
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – CBT
- Group Work – as well as Therapeutic Group Work with Children and Young People
- Couple Therapy using the Arts
- Trauma Therapy
- Working Systemically
- Working with Domestic Abuse
- Working with survivors of Sexual Abuse
- Clinical Supervision in the 21st Century
- Safeguarding – which is updated regularly both for working with children, teenagers and vulnerable adults
- Data Protection & GDPR